You may renew your tag online at www.renewyourtag.com!
Tags renewals can be made up until midnight of the last day of the month. Anyone renewing after that day will be charged a $15.00 late penalty.
Decals, tags, and tag receipts will be mailed out on the next business day after they are renewed. A printable receipt will be available for proof of online payment only. Not to be used as a valid tag receipt.
A change in license plates such as regular plate to a personalized will have to be made in the tag office.
If there is a problem processing your renewal, we will attempt to contact you by phone Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. If we are unable to reach you we will void your registration and refund your payment.
ALABAMA VEHICLE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:
The Alabama Department of Revenue sets all vehicle values, all title regulations and all other regulations regarding motor vehicle laws. These laws and regulations get their basis from the laws passed by the Alabama legislature.
IN ORDER TO REGISTER A 1975 OR NEWER VEHICLE FOR THE FIRST TIME THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED:
2. BILL OF SALE FORM
According to Alabama law a vehicle must have a minimum of liability insurance before it may be registered. The signature placed upon the registration receipt will indicate that the information shown on the receipt is correct and that the vehicle is properly insured. Proof of insurance is required.
4. DRIVER LICENSE NUMBER
Alabama law requires the owner as listed on the title/registration to provide his/her drivers license or non-driver identification number. Companies registering vehicles are required to provide their federal employer identification number (FEIN)
ALL VEHICLES THAT ARE 1974 OR OLDER REQUIRE #2, #3 AND #4 AS SHOWN ABOVE.
VEHICLE RENEWAL SCHEDULE
After the vehicle has been registered the annual renewal month for your tag is as follows:
Renewal Month: First letter of last name:
|RENEWAL MONTH||FIRST LETTER OF LAST NAME|
|January||A & D|
|March||C & E|
|April||F, G, N|
|May||H & O|
|June||M & I|
|August||J, K, R|
|September||Q, S, T|
|October||U, V, W, X, Y, Z|
|October and November||National Guard|
|Ocotber and November||Trucks, Commercial, and Fleet Vehicles|
The tax on used vehicles is paid in advance from time of registration until your renewal month. Taxes on new vehicles are deferred until your subsequent renewal month.
AD VALOREM TAX VOUCHER
(Beginning date: August 2000)
1. In order to receive a voucher, one of the following criteria must be met: selling of a vehicle, trading of a vehicle, total destruction of a vehicle, theft without recovery or other transfer.
Documents to support the above criteria:
2. The voucher shall only be issued to the registered owner and proof of identification must be provided
3. The credit shall be applied to pay the ad valorem tax on another vehicle.
4. Alabama law sets the eligibility time period to receive a credit voucher one year from sale or other transfer date.
5. The voucher shall only be redeemed in the county where it is issued.
6. The voucher shall only be transferred by the owner to their spouse or dependent child.